Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Sock 7 FO

.



Practice Pair #7 is finished, my first lace attempt here. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out and I'm sure I'll use this stitch pattern again from bwt1.219 (livre bleu). Since the directions are for flat back & forth knitting, you have to convert the WS rows for knitting in the round: K <-> P; SSK <-> P2TogB; K2Tog <-> P2Tog. Easy as kahlua pie.
.



I started both socks in this pair from the toe. Each time I have started the past few pairs of socks, I've been telling myself, I'll start the next pair from the cuff. Perhaps the next pair. I've only made one pair cuff-down, it was my first pair. I get the impression that most people prefer starting from the cuff. Perhaps I am missing something here. Surely there must by some advantage I am overlooking. I really should give that another try to see why most people seem to prefer that method. Next pair.

Anyhow, I started both these socks with what has now become my "standard" favorite toe-up. I've found that I can do JMCO with the stiff pointy sticks; I only tried it when Michelle mentioned it could be done. It's a little easier using circs, however now that I've had some practice doing it with the stiff pointy sticks, I don't find the fiddly start quite as frustrating and it is easier that stopping to go fish out 2 circs.





I chose to do SRH again on both socks and am not getting better at it. I would somehow end up 1 stitch short, no clue why. And this happened with both socks! I'm hoping to get faster at the SRH. It is still taking me an hour to complete the entire process. Is this normal? Or am I just slower than average? I don't like to put the sock down while I'm doing the SRH (though it happens often enough) because I feel like I'll lose my place and my momentum. So I usually try to start the heel when I know I have a good chunk of time to devote to it. I think I am gtting better at reducing holes where the SRH meets the instep. I've been picking up an additional stitch there (kinda like how you would when you join a heel flap to the instep). I'm pretty sure this helps. I just decrease it in the following round.



Here's a close up of the stitch pattern. It's the same pattern used in my dishcloth (see 09Nov06 post). I've been meaning to use it in a scarf, but the P2TogB on WS rows just kills me! I think the pattern is much easier to work in the round, so it's perfect for socks. :-)

Oh one more thing. I used 2.75 mm on Sock 1 and 2.50 mm on Sock 2. I like how Sock 2 came out, it just seemed to fit better using the smaller size needle.



PersProjNotes (almost everything needed to recreate this pair):
S1:
-- Pattern from Bwt1.219.
-- Work RS rows as is in pattern.
-- Convert WS rows for knitting in the round as follows: R2: K2, SSK, K4; R4: K5, SSK, K2; R6: K6, SSK, K1; R8: K4, K2T, K3; R10: K2, K2T, K5; Row 12: K1, K2T, K6.
-- JMCO 12/24 3xinc -> 64st 2.75mm ~7.5-8 spi
-- Start SRH @ 6.75" (no inc b4) = 54 foot rnds (not counting toe)
-- Work SRH until 14 sts centre, 9 sts sides
-- Resume lace pattern with Rnd 7; plain knit on back on Rnds 7 & 8, then begin lace on back side with Rnd 9.
-- PU add'l st when joining srh w/instep to reduce holes
-- 11 total rpts of lace patt = 132 rnds
-- 8 rnds k2p2 cuff
-- bottom of heel to end of lace patt on leg = 9" + 1" cuff rib
S2:
-- JMCO 12/24 3xinc -> 64st 2.50 mm
-- Start SRH @ 6.75" = 58 foot rnds
-- Resume lace pattern with Rnd 11; plain knit on back on Rnds 11 & 12, then begin lace on back side with Rnd 1.

---<>---

I got this link from blogless Les. You must check out this incredible cross stitch (actual link)! Wow!



I finally finished reading Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris (book 9 in the Sookie Stackhouse series). I'm wondering which vampire Niall was referring to at the end of the book. Is it Bill or Eric? I have the feeling it is Bill. Book 10 isn't out yet. Now what?

Well I guess I could try to finish Acqua Alta by Donna Leon, which I've been working on during the last 5 or 6 weeks.

I've been furniture shopping lately, looking for a new bedroom set and new mattress. We finally chose our bedroom set this past weekend, it's a sleigh bed. I'll find some pics for you next time. I'm thinking of the Simmons Latex mattress as a possible "greener" option. The cool thing is that it has a 20 year warranty. I tried out the Tempurpedic Comfort Pillows at one of the mattress stores and it felt good ... until I discovered it is a $125 pillow. Ouch! I don't think I can spend that much on a pillow.


Copyright © Smariek Knits 2005-2009. All full copyright rights are reserved by Smariek Knits.

.

7 stitch(es):

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I'm glad the JMCO is working for you on the dpns! Now I need to review how to do it before I have class with Cat Bordhi at Sock Summit on Saturday. It's part of the homework. The other part of the homework is knowing how to do a short row heel; hers is a little different. Try it and see if you like it! I've done it once, but need to review that, too. I keep starting my socks at the cuff and it's not an issue. But it's homework time, now! Wrap & turn (short row heels)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yVikAvPuE4&feature=channel_page

And part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFrVqx-iN7k&feature=channel_page

Cindy G said...

Oh, very (!) pretty.

I'm a kind of stuck in the mud "top downer", but I actually see several advantages to working toe up. So maybe next pair ;-)

SusanB-knits said...

I like doing cuff down and keep saying I need to try toe up. Maybe next time... (I have trouble with short row heels and prefer the heel flap)
You're socks are beautiful!
I'm waiting for the next Charlaine Harris book too! so in the mean time I've been reading a bunch of mysteries.

Unknown said...

I love the traveling vine pattern. I've been knitting a scarf for the past several years (it's one of those that hibernates until you run out of other things to knit), in a pretty mint green. It looks gorgeous in these socks.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love the color and the pattern they look so pretty:)Hugs Darcy

junior_goddess said...

Oh!

Looks like you are almost out of sock yarn! ;-D

I would make a shrug for Miss M out of the Mayfair. Or in lace, for you.

hakucho said...

I learned to knit cuff down socks first, but now I rather knit toe-up. It is more advantageous in that you can judge better how long to make the legs depending on how much yarn you have!
Your socks are beautiful and looked oh, so familiar to me that I had to go check. Sure enough...very similar to the socks I knit a while back (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/hakucho/traveling-vines-hybrid-sock).

happy knitting :)